Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Musing on Cinco de Mayo

Since I'm not from Mexico, I've never felt the need to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Nevertheless, I found myself at Columbus 72 on May 5 celebrating all things "south of the border" for $5.



Most Americans use the holiday as an excuse to pig out on nachos and get drunk off Corona, but it made for a good time to immerse myself in Mexican culture. (I visited the country in 2004 and dressed as a margarita for Halloween the following year ... but I digress.) I passed on the beef, rice, and salad buffet, heading to the dance floor instead to do some Latin dancing. My two left feet may have stepped on some toes -- literally! -- but it didn't stop me from having a good time. (Thanks to Al, Butch, David, Freddy, Howard, and anyone else I may have forgotten for being brave enough to dance with me.)



Learning salsa and sipping tequila don't have to be once-a-year activities -- at this nightclub, you can get your "fiesta" on every Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment