Friday, June 19, 2009

Musing on Alcohol

To combat the recession, restaurants are offering complimentary food to its customers with the purchase of a drink as a way to drum up business. Two establishments jumping on this bandwagon are The Mermaid Inn and Armani / Ristorante (click on Armani / Ristorante).



The Lower East Side eatery lures its patrons with mini-servings of chocolate pudding daily (except Mondays, when they serve mini-cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery). While they're known for their seafood, the cocktails are what caught my eye. I love putting hot sauce on fried chicken, but I never thought it could get you intoxicated. Figuring there's a first time for everything, I decided to try the Michelada (Modelo Especial, hot sauce, and lime) for $8.



I regretted my choice as soon as I took my first sip, for the insides of my lips felt like they were being pressed against a blowtorch. To make matters worse, the beer had a bitter taste and the fruit had little juice. The bartender asked if I wanted another wedge, and I nodded my head without hesitation. I don't like to pour money down the drain, so I found the will to ingest the nastiest-tasting liquid concocted by man since Alka-Seltzer.



The bartender brought me a plate of chocolate and vanilla mini-cupcakes ... and while I expected them to be small, I didn't expect them to be microscopic. They were moist and sweet, but you're better off going straight to the source, where the pastry comes in eight flavors.



Since I didn't want my visit to be a wash, I had a Prosecco (Veneto) for $10. Its dry flavor wasn't the best way to erase the memory of the Michelada, but at least I could stomach it (along with a bowl of fish-shaped pretzels). In any case, the most memorable part of my night there was leaving the place.



I had a better experience at the Midtown shop, which uses appetizers and desserts to draw a crowd on Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Since its name symbolizes elegance, it's only fitting that the spot is full of "beautiful people." (I wouldn't recommend showing up in jeans and sneakers!) Between the attentive servers and charming bartenders, my only gripes about the place were its techno music and heavy chairs.





Their extensive drink selection caused a temporary case of indecision, but I ended up ordering the Armani martini (orange juice, white rum, triple sec, and orange slice) for $14. It was one of the best cocktails I've ever had, and I knew it wouldn't be my last one -- even though it would mean going over my budget. I eased my conscience by sampling quiche and chocolate-covered strawberries (among other items). Later, I quenched my thirst with a strawberry julep (rum, mint leaves, strawberries, lime, brown sugar, and soda) for $12, which I also enjoyed.





If you're in the mood to enhance your alcoholic buzz with some tasty grub, check out Armani / Ristorante. While the futuristic décor wasn't my cup of tea, it was a better value for my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment