Sunday, June 14, 2009

Musing on Barbecues

Carnivores of all ages gathered at Madison Square Park on June 13 and 14 to celebrate "peace, love, and barbecue" -- with apologies to Elvis Costello -- at the Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party.





The annual event was a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon, despite the light rain that kept intruding in on the fun. Some lines were longer than others, but I didn't let that deter me from partaking of complimentary items like grilled sausages from Char-Broil and two pieces of pork from the National Pork Board. The former had a succulent taste that left me wanting more, while the latter had a dry taste that failed to stimulate my palate.





Other goodies I picked up during my three-and-a-half-hour stay included a Quaker True Delights honey roasted cashew mixed berry granola bar, a diet lemon Snapple snow cone, and two cups of Edy's Slow Churned vanilla ice cream. As for prizes, I got to take home a cinch bag and a beach towel just for entering contests that highlighted my lack of knowledge about barbecuing and presidents. (Go figure!)



When I wasn't roaming the park and nearby areas for free samples, I was bobbing my head to SaRon Crenshaw and Howard Tate. I enjoyed both of their performances, but Tate did a better job of engaging the audience -- especially when he shared the stage with The Sweet Divines.





An experience that wasn't so divine was meeting Billy Mays. Crossing paths with the infamous salesman made for a surreal encounter ... and as much as I'd like to think he's a decent person, he came across as being just as cheesy in person as he is on television. (At least he looks the same in the flesh!)



What started off as a drizzle turned into a downpour around 4:00 p.m., and it was just my luck that I was standing in line to purchase a plate of Kansas City ribs and pickled okra from the Blue Smoke booth for $8. (They charge $14.95¢ for a half-rack at the restaurant.) The ribs maintained their flavor after I brought them home, and they had a fair amount of meat on them. As for the okra, I gave it to my younger brother, since he has a penchant for green vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment