Friday, June 5, 2009

Musing on Donuts

June is the time of year when Americans from all walks of life come together to celebrate special occasions like Father's Day, the Summer Solstice ... and National Donut Day.



I refused to let a rainy day stop me from indulging my sugar rush, so I went to the Dunkin' Donuts at Atlantic Plaza, where they offered a free donut with the purchase of a beverage. After buying a ten-ounce cup of white hot chocolate (and getting a strawberry frosted donut), I took a few minutes to enjoy my late breakfast -- not to mention saving $1.06¢ in the process.



As much as I relished my moist snack and savored the creaminess of my drink, it didn't fill me up. I made my way to the Krispy Kreme at Penn Station, where they gave out a complimentary doughnut with no strings attached. The New York Cheesecake caught my eye, and I couldn't wait to wrap my lips around the cheesecake-filled treat topped with cream cheese icing and graham cracker crunch. It tasted good, but had too much filling and not enough topping. (On the bright side, I saved $1.19¢. Yay!)



These franchises weren't the only places where one could get their donut fix; other shops commemorating this day included the Peter Pan Bakery, Doughnut Plant, and Balthazar. I had my fill after eating two of them ... but there's always next year (and beyond).

No comments:

Post a Comment